Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Phonetic Alphabet


If you're anything like me, you'll look and this picture, laugh and relate 100%. If you're anything like my husband, you'll look at this picture, laugh and want to hang this in your office for you flight students and boss to laugh at. I can't help but love this picture. It reminds me of how I sum up my knowledge of airplanes and their technicalities. There are some things that are important to know when it comes to aviation, though. I think I have the knowledge to explain and demonstrate one thing in particular. The phonetic alphabet.

This post might get really dry really fast. Why? Because the "Phonetic Alphabet" really isn't "Phonetic" at all. It's basically a spelling alphabet, where characters in our language are given code words, and it's widely used. For example: if you google the phonetic alphabet, it'll bring up about half a dozen "phonetic" alphabets. Which one are we even talking about? To sum up about four long paragraphs of stuff you really don't want to read, I'm going to talk about the NATO Phonetic Alphabet and how I use it.

There's the alphabet! Here are a few tips:

-Quebec is pronounced "Keh-beck"
-Lima is pronounced like "Lima, Peru" and not "Lima Bean"
-B really is for Bravo and not "Beta"

When I first started my job at the FBO in PSC (refer to my "Please I don't speak Greek" post), I was given a list like this to memorize. How did I do it? I had a coworker ask me to spell things.

My Name: Robin

Romeo
Oscar
Bravo
India
November

My Cat's Name: Callie Ko

Charlie
Alfa
Lima
Lima
India
Echo

Kilo
Oscar

My Husband's Name: Jim

Juliett
India
Mike

Our Last Name: Macias

Mike
Alfa
Charlie
India
Alfa
Sierra

Using this method, and the backwards method (What does this spell? Delta Oscar Golf.) I learned to use this alphabet in about half an hour. To become confident enough to use it daily, I practiced by spelling everything using it.

Honestly, this alphabet is cake compared to some. So, how do I use it? Here are a few examples.

As in my "Greek" post, we use this alphabet to communicate tail numbers. This by far is how I used the alphabet the most. When taking concierge information, getting the right tail number down in the computer system was crucial. If you didn't, we'd all be confused the next day when a different jet showed up.

While I use the alphabet for aviation related activities, I also use it when I'm on the phone with people, particularly when they ask me to spell something. Or when I'm looking up a model number for an appliance. Or that time my sister named a kitten CharlieAlfaTango (It really happened. He's adorable.)

The phonetic alphabet is entirely useful, and if you need help learning it I'd be glad to help you!

Blue skies,
Robin

2 comments:

  1. Robin this is really interesting. I feel I learned something new this morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A knew many from tv, never knew Quebec was used though, very informative post.

    ReplyDelete