Thursday, October 18, 2012

My current book, and how it is changing my life.

I'm really tired of saying "Sorry I haven't posted in so long!..." on each post. So, here's my resolution:
I'm not longer saying sorry for when I post. My life isn't busy but it's hard to go somewhere to find wifi. Until we have wifi, be prepared for sporadic posts!


I feel like I should preface this post a little bit and let you know how personal it is. I don't know how else to start in on a post that could very well take over my blog and change the whole world as I see it.

Since I was a little girl living in Eastern Washington, I have always loved animals. I have never been able to put my finger on what it is about them that I feel so connected to, but I've known from a very young age that my purpose in life is to be an advocate for their welfare.

I was the girl that would find strays and attempt to rescue them. I've placed about half a dozen dogs in loving homes in the last four years. That doesn't seem like much, but at 21, I feel like I've been able to do some amazing things. When I was in college I actually found a cockatiel in a tree on campus. It was winter and he was about ready to die, but I saved him and found him a home. Just last summer I rescued two dogs from certain death on a farm in Eastern Washington. Both were malnourished and covered in ticks. Now they are both happy and healthy and in loving, active homes.

My heart belongs to a pilot and animals. My goal in life is to finally become a certified dog trainer and use my skills to help shelter dogs become better candidates for adoption. I love all dogs, but it wasn't until I started working at two different vet clinics that one particular breed category caught my attention above the rest- can you guess it?

Let me get back to the title of this post- My current book...etc. I'm currently reading The Lost Dogs by Jim Gorant. This book is an account of the Michael Vick dog fighting case, but more importantly it is about the team that evaluated, rescued and rehabilitated the dogs that survived.
A word of caution about this book: The first part is horrific. The story of these dogs does NOT have a happy beginning and to really understand the fairytale ending you have to know what horrors these dogs endured. I made myself vulnerable and open to the violence I was reading about- I cried for the few days it took me to get through the tougher sections. In total it took me over a week to read the first part. It goes over the investigation and indictment. What happened to the dogs will make your skin crawl. I finished part one angry, sad, and emotionally rocked. But the next section brought such a hope that this book is now on my top "Animals Lovers Must Read" list.

I have always wanted to educate people about so-called "Bully Breeds." After working with many of them at the clinics I worked at I noticed that although most are well-mannered, people who don't know much about these wonderful dogs are afraid of them or angry that they exist.

"Bully Breeds." What do you think of when you read that term? I first thought of dogs that were...well, bullies. You'd think that with a name like "Bully Breed" these dogs would be a danger to other dogs and society as a whole. But many breeds that are labeled this way are in fact some of the most beloved. Did you know that a Boston Terrier (right) is considered a Bully Breed?  Hardly looks like intimidating and terrible, does it? The term Bully Breed itself has to do with origin and history rather than behavior.



The Molosser, a dog that originated in ancient Greece is the root stock of all Bully Breeds. They had a stocky build (large bones and muscles) short snouts, and what are called "pendant" ears. I've included a depiction of what the Molosser might have looked like. Looks familiar, right? That's because a lot of dogs that you and I love today like the Boston Terrier are descendants of the Molosser mixed with other dogs breeds like the Old English Bulldog and the Mastiff. Originally, these dogs were bred to be protectors of livestock and property- who knew, right? Sadly though, there were some breeders and owners who used these dogs for other unattractive purposes. During the nineteenth century in England, breeds descending from the Molosser were used for bull-baiting and other blood sports. Some speculate that is around the time "Bully" was coined to describe these dogs.

Around the beginning of the 20th Century, British Parliment outlawed blood sports and immigrants began to come to America, bringing their dogs with them. Bully Breeds were loved and adored. In fact, Stubby, a Pit Bull, became a decorated war hero in WWI. There he is, with a medal he received on the right. Pit Bulls were used on pro-America propaganda materials during WWII. No doubt about it, everyone loved Pit Bulls in the 1950's. Looking at how society views them you'd never know. So, what happened?

It wasn't until the 1980's, when gangs used Pit Bulls as a status symbol/for protection that society basically turned on these wonderful dogs. The ASPCA has also conjectured that the media didn't help by misidentifying dogs involved when they reported dog attacks. An overlooked fact about dogs is that they might attack if they have been abused, neglected or provoked.

So what Bully Breeds are common? Well...
You've got your Pit Bull in the top left corner, the Boston Terrier in the right. There's the Bullmastiff below the Pit, and the American Staffordshire Terrier next to it. On the bottom row from left to right is the Boxer, the Old English Bulldog and the French Bulldog. ALL are considered Bully Breeds.

My heart is specifically drawn to these dogs and their bad reputation. Granted, not all of these breeds aren't known as being bullies but Pit Bulls and Staffies are. I have encountered many people who brought up how they can't stand these dogs because of how dangerous they are. So, what can we do?

This is how my life is changing- I always knew that I wanted to help shelter dogs. But now I'm on a mission- to help Bully Breeds become better candidates for adoption. 

If you stuck with me this far through the post, congratulations and you're almost done! 

I was never allowed to have a "Bully Breed" growing up- my dad was always afraid of them. But I grew up around them since my aunt and uncle always had a Boston Terrier and a Boxer. It is because of their love of these dogs that I grew up to love them as much as I do. Without the dogs that helped me learn about them, I wouldn't love the Bullies as much as I do.

This post is for Papi and Jersey, the two Pit Bulls I will love forever. This is also for Sarge and Harley, the Boxers I grew up with and watched grow up. And this post is for Cisco the Boston Terrier who loved me more every year I saw him and is now playing with tennis balls and sleeping in sunny spots up in Heaven. I miss you, Ceeeeeeesco.

And this post is for one human who understands my love for Bullies- My sister Kaylene. Without her, my love for dogs would stop at petting them as I walk by. Thanks for being an inspiration and a confidant about all my doggie-stuff.

Blue Skies and Wagging Tails,
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment