Thursday, September 20, 2012

Helicopters Everywhere and Today's Interesting Moments

This might be short- I'm actually sitting in the office at the airport.

This morning began slowly- Jim didn't have to work until noon, I until three. we woke up slow, then got rid of an extra dining table we've had since Jim moved into the apartment last year. (Thanks, Habitat for Humanity!)

This afternoon was going well, until I was driving to my favorite soup house for a cup of delicious roasted vegetable soup. I drove around to the back of the building and suddenly the car started shaking. I thought I had broken Jim's Hyundai! Overhead there was a lot of rumbling. To be honest I was scared out of my mind. I rolled down the window as fast as I could- manual windows, takes lots of arm power- and stuck my head out of the window. What do you know, a Black Hawk Helicopter flew overhead at a VERY LOW ALTITUDE. This is how my afternoon began.

After purchasing my soup, and a slice of pie for my darling husband, I drove to work. I was extra-cautious though, after my run-in with the Black Hawk. I knew something had to be going on. Nothing EVER happens here that warrants a military helicopter, except for the goings-on at the Coast Guard base. I drove along down the highway until my turn onto Airport Rd. When I made it to the intersection, I noticed flashing lights...ahead of me. Across the intersection was a State Patrol car, lights flashing, parked with no officer inside. I saw the man wandering around in the field/ponds, he seemed to be searching for something. I maneuvered cautiously until parking and going inside the building.

There has been a manhunt going all day not far from the airport. A guy took a shot at another man, missed him, then took off on foot. State Patrol, US Border Patrol and others are out on land and in the air searching for him.

Crazy day.

Blue Skies,
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment